Title: Advocacy and Communications Coordinator
Duty Station: Kampala
Contract Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 2 years (January 2024- July 2026)
Reports to: Programs Manager
The Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Alliance Uganda (SRHR Alliance Uganda) is a consortium of organizations that stand for and work to ensure that All adolescents and young people have EQUAL access to SRHR services and information in a supportive and violence free environment. The Alliance was founded to strengthen partnerships and synergies to advance and promote the needs of the different groups of adolescents and young people.
Working to strengthen the implementation of its advocacy and communication focused vision, the SRHR Alliance leverages different platforms and avenues to influence national, regional and international policies, public opinions & health behaviors of young people while most importantly ensuring the safety and security of the its partners in an ever changing SRHR landscape,
It is on this basis that the SRHR Alliance Uganda are seeking the services of qualified candidates to fill the position of the Advocacy and Communications Coordinator based in Kampala
- Main Purpose of the Job:
The advocacy and communication coordinator shall lead the communication and advocacy unit, they shall spearhead the development and review of the SRHR Alliance Uganda’s Communication and advocacy strategies. They also serve as the Safety and Security Focal Person at the SRHR Alliance Uganda.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the core duties of the Advocacy and Communications Coordinator:
- Design linkages and build relationships with key donors, partners, decision makers and influencers, monitoring relevant SRHR trends to identify opportunities to shape the advocacy work of the SRHR- A an.
- Facilitate the adherence to safety and security standards among the partners through integration of safety and security measures in their daily activities strengthening their capacities to analyze and assess the nature of the threats and vulnerabilities within advocacy work
- Provide technical support to the SRHR Alliance and its partners in developing and regularly updating the Safety and Security Management Plan and tools per the nature of safety and security risks including detailed threat assessment, security protocols, standard operating procedures for personal movement & transport, office, tele/radio communications, incident report sheets, asset protection, etc.
- Guide the SRHR Alliance Uganda and its partners in the integration of safety and security measures in their daily activities by strengthening the capacities in analyzing the parameters of the working environment by assessing the nature of the threats and (community of action CoAs) vulnerabilities concerning the emergency.
- Guide the SRHR Alliance and its’ partners on security challenges, developing risk assessments, and proposing risk reduction measures in addition to developing, maintaining, updating, and implementing, when necessary, security protocols and operating procedures according to the changing situation.
- Link organizations to a network of contacts among local actors to facilitate streamlining of advocacy work and enhance the security of its operations.
- Represent the SRHR Alliance Uganda in relevant advocacy platforms and forums;
- Coordinate the participation in high-level advocacy-related communication activities of SRHR Alliance Uganda staff members
- Lead processes of policy analyses on critical topics and trends in sexual and reproductive health and rights of young people in Uganda, Africa and the world.
- Draft and update SRHR Alliance Uganda public- face materials for communication and advocacy. Provide technical support to the SRHR Alliance and its partners in developing writing, and publishing materials outlining security procedures.
- Support communication and advocacy capacity-building efforts for the SRHR Alliance and its partners.
- Develop content for the communications materials for the organization such as brochures, blogs, website, opinion columns, in house magazine, case studies, articles, reports and any other documentations required.
- Produce materials for advocacy, communication and media purposes through country visits and desk-based research, including drafting or inputting into reports, briefing papers, submissions to government consultations.
- Planning publicity strategies and campaigns for youth empowerment; writing and preparing presentations and other kinds of documentation to popularize the work of the organization.
- Track and analyze development policies and advocacy environment and recommend strategic opportunities for SRHR Alliance Uganda’s engagement.
- Raise funds, manage financial information and reporting requirements of SRHR Alliance Uganda’s policy and advocacy-related grants.
- Identify, cultivate, expand and regularly update network of key political allies, including Uganda government agencies, key lawmakers, staffers, advocates, NGOs, multilaterals, and the private sector to advance the policy and advocacy agenda of SRHR Alliance Uganda and its partners;
- The coordinator will also assist in management of fellows and interns on the communications and advocacy team.
- Any other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Academic Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in one of the following or related fields: Mass communication, ICT, development studies and Social Sciences from a recognized University or Tertiary Institutions.
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in the field of Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights or health advocacy and communication.
- Experience working with digital and online media communication roles in a MUST.
- Skills, knowledge, and Competences:
- Experience sourcing, managing content development and publishing
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of online or social media platforms, their respective participants (website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenario for SRHR advocacy.
- Good verbal, writing and language skills; ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written (including reports), audio and video format
- Photography and computer skills including internet usage is a MUST
- Good advocacy and social mobilization skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work harmoniously with local communities
- Teamwork-oriented and capable of managing multiple tasks.
- Ability to accomplish tasks under tight deadlines, quickly and efficiently
- Knowledge and understanding of the SRHR policy and legal landscape at the National, Regional and Global levels.
- Application Procedures
Interested individuals may submit their applications by email to the address provided below. The application should include.
- 1-page cover/Motivation letter
- 3-paged CV.
- 3 Referees
The application should be addressed to the Human Resource and Administration Officer and clearly labeled application for the position of: “Communications and Advocacy Coordinator”. The application should be sent to email: email@example.com
- Submission Deadline
All applications should be received by close of business on 31st January 2024.
Important to note:
The SRHR Alliance Uganda is an equal opportunity employee; persons with disabilities as well as female candidates are encouraged to apply,
Disclaimer: The SRHR Alliance does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agencies.